Thursday, August 7, 2008

History Lesson

I always get asked, Why Houde's Chili Dog Shack? So here's the top five answers I give to this question.

Why not? I mean when I saw the creation of Turner's House of Burgers, I was like, count me in on this deal. So one day, I went to the beach with nothing more than hot dogs, chili, a couple of stale buns, and one singular dream, to become the best ever at the business. Ten years later, forty five different recipes, and sixty two employees fired, I have finally found the location, recipe, and crew that works. So that's why.

To survive a Godzilla attack. I'm going to offer him the best food that USA can offer, rat meat with sloppy joe sauce on it. And stale buns. Seriously. And while the rest of you burn with his nuke breath, I'll be laughing it up on his shoulder.

Well, it happened one day while I was down on my luck. Joking around with my brother, I bought a lotto ticket, went to the local pub, and waited to see if the tele said I won. Well, wouldn't you know it, but after Bobby the local constable came in to talk to me about my lorry being double parked, the winning numbers shown up on the screen. Two Cheerios, a pip pip, one tea and scone break later, I got me my own Chili Dog Shack. Bangers and mash, if it's not the best chili dogs this side of the pond.

Huh? You've never heard of it? Yeah, out of college I got on a cruise ship, and yada yada yada, I woke up on a stretch of St. Martin's wonderful beaches. I wandered into a bar with nothing more than my charm, the piece of seaweed I was wearing as a bathing suit, and two shells I could have sweared were five dollars in American money. The person behind the bar, a gigantic Jamacian native who went by the name of Norma, gave me some clothes, and a job. After working there for several years, I bought the place, fired Norma, business is business afterall, and renamed the place Houde's Chili Dog Shack. Check it out when you're down there.

It happened one a dark and stormy night. I found a building, a broken down shell of a thing. I nursed it back to health, changed the floorboards, and slapped a new coat of paint (the paint store only had lime green in stock). After a few tries into other style of restaurants, like Houde's French Palace, and Houde's Rib and Steakhouse, I settled on Houde's Chili Dog Shack.

There you go.

No comments: